Having a mild panic attack as I realized that I meant to write a birth letter to take to today's doctor's appointment and haven't even started it. (The doctor is going away for the next 2 weeks and I will not see him again unless this baby stays put until 2012.) Besides continuous monitoring and allowing my husband to stay with me the entire time we are waiting, what else should I ask for to help me get through surgery?
Ask for updates during surgery, ask if you can see or hold the baby right away. Make sure your husband can go with the baby if you must be separated for any reason. The hospital I delivered at only allowed one support person for a section, but they wrote on my chart I could have two to help with anxiety. Good to have in place though I didn't need a section.
ReplyDeleteI've never had a section so don't have many ideas, hopefully someone else will have more.
I just popped onto your blog and don't know much about your story, but I guess you are having preterm labor?
ReplyDeleteI am a neonatal NP and do know how hospitals work. Your dr. really has little control over what happens in the OR/DR or nursery. The nurses run these areas and are the ones that you want to contact. They should be more than happy to explain your options. It won't work for your OB to make a declaration. Call the hospital and ask for the nurse manager of labor and delivery, nursery and mother-baby. I wish you all the luck in the world.