Tuesday, October 25, 2011

26 weeks, 2 days - Day 1 in Hospital

I thought that the worst thing that would happen today was failing the GDS test. I was so wrong. I had a routine ultrasound at the hospital perinatal clinic.  It was ordered just because there are 10  weeks between the anatomy scan and 30 weeks when he wanted to start  weekly monitoring and that's a long time for a BLM. So I had my scan and Thing 3 looks great, all squirmy and healthy and measuring 2 weeks ahead to boot. But then the tech takes a another look at my cervix, which leads to an internal, which leads to a visit from the perinatalogist, which leads to a jab in the butt (steriods), which leads to a wheel chair trip up to the third floor ante-partum unit. I am already so bored (and the internet sucks big time) and I want to go home but that won't happen until at least Monday. Every thing is so messed up and I have no idea how we will get everything sorted out with D and D.G.'s work and childcare and preschool and laundry and food and even how D.G. is going to get my car back home before it gets towed.

Seriously, pre-term labour is not something that I thought I would have to worry about, I've carried 2 giant babies to term. There is no explanation as to why it's happening either. I don't have cramps or contractions, no bleeding, no leaking, no mucus. (can you tell I've answered this question a few times today?) How the hell do so many moms do this?

13 comments:

  1. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your little one. Lets hope that thing 3 will stay in a while longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH CRAP! Well...we are all here cheering you and Thing 3 on (and I'm giving your cervix the stink eye)

    Have there already been discussions about viability etc??

    Also...please think about how lucky it is that they caught it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about you and baby (L let me know earlier today). I hope baby stays put for a long time it must be very scary and so unexpected after never having any issues with ptl.

    Hoping everything with DD falls together and you're not stressing too much about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad they caught it in time, but sorry it is happening.

    Logistics suck. Are there family members or friends nearby who can help with childcare/housework?

    Hang in there, we're all hoping and praying for you and Thing 3.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so so glad they caught it in time. I'm praying for you!!! I spent 6 weeks in the hospital while pg with my last. Do you need some stuff to keep you entertained?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh honey, I really hope that by the time I'm typing this, there is some good news and you are safely home with thing 3 tucked up safe inside.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoping and hoping it turns out to be nothing more than a cervix that has had 2 big babies resting on it and it will hold up just fine. No other signs is good. I know it won't actually be reassuring you. Sending thing 3 lots of 'behave yourself and stay in the warm' vibes. Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no, no, no. I'm so sad and worried to read this but glad that it was discovered before PTL had set in. It's really good that you've already got to 26 weeks and every day and hour thing 3 stays inside will make a difference.

    The practicalities of a sudden trip into hospital can be a nightmare, wish I lived closer (or even on the right continent) so, at the very least, I could go and move your car for you.

    Thinking of you and thing 3 so much and hoping that everything will be fine. No idea why I'm not following this blog btw. Going to go and remedy that situation now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They have caught it and you're in the hospital, those are good things. Being in the hospital does suck but hopefully they will be able to fix it and you'll get to go home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh boy. I'm really sorry this has happened to you and Thing 3. Since I have some experience with bed rest (HA, understatement!), I will tell you what I recommend.
    1. Get a Tv series to watch on your lap top. This saved me both times I was on bed rest.
    2. Start doing foot pumps, ankle rolls, neck stretches, arms stretches etc. Your muscles will start to hurt quickly and this helps a lot. If you are allowed up at all, make the most of it and stretch a bit while standing up.
    3. Drink lots of water. This helps with the aches and pains too and helps to ward off a UTI which is the LAST thing you need right now. It also gives you something to do.
    4. Give yourself short term goals. Right now, try for 27 or 28 weeks. It seems more managable than thinking of the months you have left to go.
    5. Babycenter has a bed rest club message board. It helps to pass the time and keeps you from feeling so alone.

    Good luck! If I can do it, you can too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I am so sorry to hear about this big bump in the road. Thinking of you and sweet baby thing 3.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what a nightmare. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. I have everything crossed for you and Thing 3. xxx

    ReplyDelete